Sunday, July 25, 2010

Under the paper


     My friends know I love gift giving and that I give special attention to the wrapping.  I'm not partial to any one type of wrapping. I love bags, paper, ribbon, tags, charms, flowers. Once the present is wrapped I will look for something that puts what I call a "Pam stamp" on it.  A book or article on gift wrapping always calls out to me.  Sometimes I have to wonder if the presentation speaks more to me than the gift. . . which led me to do a little soul searching. Do I want others to see the value of the gift more than the presentation?
      Our lives should be a gift to others. Do I allow myself to be unwrapped? Do I unwrap the gift within others? I read a wonderful book by Florence Littauer titled, "Silver Boxes."  The book is based on the scripture verse Ephesians 4:29 which says, "Let no unwholesome word proceed out of your mouth,except that which is edifying so that it might minister grace to hearer." Mrs. Littauer asked a group of elementary children if they understood what the verse meant. One little boy said that our words should be like building blocks; another said that we shouldn't go around knocking other people's blocks down. Knowing how much children like presents, Mrs. Littauer explained that when words come out of our mouth they should be like presents we give away. Finally one little girl simply wrapped it up by saying, "What she means is that our words should be like little silver boxes with bows on top." She ends the book with a very personal story of her own mother and how dreams can die with us.
     It's no wonder I love this book because I love words and I love wrapped presents. I don't want to waste my time evaluating or envying someone's wrapping.  I want to spend my energy finding the valuable gift inside of them and encouraging them to let it be unwrapped.

No comments:

Post a Comment