Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Intentional Joy


     The sentence I read in the book on my bedside table held those two words. They leaped off the page, jumped in my mind.  It wasn't long (maybe 2 minutes) until they found their way to the door of my heart. I'm glad I answered the knock and opened up.
     I decided long ago that Joy is a must have. I always knew it was a Pam essential but I didn't know why for years and years. I watched lots of people do without it.  I found that answer in my favorite book- the Bible- page 1656, Romans 14:17.  Joy is a tell-tale sign that the Kingdom of God is in operation.
     My heart reminded me that my joy is always in jepardy. I decided I will be intentional about protecting it. I also know that because of that decision my Helper will glady assist me.  Disappointments have been coming, problems need the answers I don't have right now, changes are taking place that could be scary if I let them, personal progress is slow. Top it off with a cloudy sky outside my window view.
      What's this girl to do? The 3 P's I so often do?  Yes, I will pray, pour a cup of tea ( in the prettiest of my cups) and ponder the next step. Speaking of tea cups- years ago I met some people who read the future in their tea leaves (seriously- don't laugh- some people really do that). Well the pretty tea cup and slightly sweet and tart raspberry tea provided something for my senses but  the prayer and pondering provided what I really needed.
      He restores my soul. (Psalm 23) I'm so glad I don't have to do the restoring. I learned today that I probably have to wait a while on the bigger joys but I can rejoice and enjoy so many small things right now.  I'll stack them one on top of each other intentionally.  They will give me strength. 
     Guess what?  The sun is shining outside my window view now.  The birds are at the feeder, the roses are still blooming, the squirrels are chasing each other, all the clothes are folded, my knitting needles are nearby, I know God loves me and I say- "It is well with my soul." 
     Think I'll have another cup of tea and intentionally be joyful as I remember, "Those that wait on the Lord will renew their strength; they will mount up with wings like eagles, they will run and not get tired, they will walk and not become weary." (Page 1011, Isaiah 40:31)

No comments:

Post a Comment